If You Think Only About Yourself, You Won’t Grow — If You Think About Others, God Will Grow You
There is a simple truth about life that we often discover only after going through difficult experiences: the more we become obsessed with ourselves, the smaller our world becomes.
What will I get?
What will people think about me?
Why am I not successful yet?
Why don't I have what they have?
When will my life improve?
These questions are not always wrong. But when our entire life becomes centered around "me", our mind becomes trapped in comparison, fear, expectation and disappointment.
The Bhagavad Gita offers another way.
Instead of asking only, "What can I get from life?" we can begin asking, "What can I give through my life?"
And this is where something beautiful begins to happen.
When you stop making yourself the center of everything, you create space for purpose, service and devotion.
The Gita Does Not Teach Us to Ignore Ourselves
There is an important distinction. Thinking about others does not mean destroying yourself, ignoring your responsibilities, or allowing people to take advantage of you.
Krishna does not tell Arjuna to run away from his responsibilities. He teaches him to perform his duty with the right understanding.
One of the most famous verses of the Gita says:
कर्मण्येवाधिकारस्ते मा फलेषु कदाचन ।
मा कर्मफलहेतुर्à¤ूर्मा ते सङ्गोऽस्त्वकर्मणि ॥
Bhagavad Gita 2.47
You have a right to perform your prescribed action, but not to the fruits of your actions. Do not make the results your only motive, and do not become attached to inaction.
The teaching is not "don't care about your life."
It is: do your work sincerely without allowing the result to become the center of your existence.
The Problem With Constantly Thinking About Yourself
Imagine someone who wakes up every morning thinking:
- How can I become richer?
- How can I become more successful than others?
- Why am I not getting recognition?
- Why did someone receive more than me?
- What will I get from this relationship?
- What will I get from helping this person?
Even if such a person achieves something, the mind can immediately create another desire.
One achievement becomes the beginning of another comparison.
One promotion creates the desire for another promotion.
One amount of money creates the desire for more money.
One person's praise creates the need for more praise.
The external situation may improve, but the mind may still say: "Not enough."
Then Krishna Changes the Question
Instead of constantly asking, "What can I get?" ask:
"What can I contribute?"
Instead of: "Who will help me?" ask: "Whom can I help?"
Instead of: "Why doesn't anyone appreciate me?" ask: "Am I doing my duty sincerely?"
Instead of: "What will I gain?" ask: "What good can come from my actions?"
This change may look small, but it changes the direction of the mind.
Thinking About Others Can Make You Grow
Consider a young person who wants to start a business.
If the only thought is: "How can I become rich?" the person may focus entirely on money.
But suppose the question becomes:
"What problem can I solve for other people?"
Now the person begins learning about customers. They listen to their problems. They improve their product. They learn communication. They become better at solving problems. They become more patient. They become more responsible.
The person may still earn money, but something else has happened: the person has grown while serving others.
A Teacher Grows by Helping Students
A teacher who thinks only about salary may eventually become tired of teaching.
But a teacher who thinks, "How can I help my students understand this better?" begins improving every day.
They learn new methods. They become more patient. They understand people better. They communicate better.
By helping students grow, the teacher grows too.
This principle appears in many areas of life.
A Parent Grows While Raising a Child
A parent may begin thinking:
"I need to earn more."
But when the focus expands to:
"How can I give my child a better life and become a better example?"
the parent may develop patience, discipline, responsibility and compassion.
The child grows.
But so does the parent.
Krishna's Teaching of Yajna
The Gita repeatedly connects meaningful action with yajna — action performed as an offering rather than merely for personal consumption.
यज्ञार्थात्कर्मणोऽन्यत्र लोकोऽयं कर्मबन्धनः ।
तदर्थं कर्म कौन्तेय मुक्तसङ्गः समाचर ॥
Bhagavad Gita 3.9
Actions performed for the sake of sacrifice or offering do not bind in the same way as actions performed solely for personal attachment. Therefore, perform your actions without attachment.
The deeper idea is that our actions can become larger than our personal desires.
Work can become service.
Knowledge can become something we share.
Money can become a means to support others.
Success can become an opportunity to create opportunities for others.
And daily responsibilities can become an offering to God.
"God Will Grow You" Does Not Mean God Will Give You Everything You Want
This distinction is important.
The statement "If you think about others, God will grow you" should not be understood as a guarantee that God will immediately give you money, fame, success or everything you desire.
The Gita does not present spirituality as a transaction:
"I help people, therefore God must make me rich."
Instead, the growth may happen inside you.
- You may become more patient.
- You may become less controlled by ego.
- You may develop stronger relationships.
- You may discover a deeper purpose.
- You may become more disciplined.
- You may become better at your work.
- You may experience greater inner steadiness.
Sometimes the greatest growth is not something that appears in your bank account.
It is something that appears in your character.
Krishna Says: Offer Your Actions to Me
यत्करोषि यदश्नासि यज्जुहोषि ददासि यत् ।
यत्तपस्यसि कौन्तेय तत्कुरुष्व मदर्पणम् ॥
Bhagavad Gita 9.27
Whatever you do, whatever you eat, whatever you offer or give, and whatever discipline you practice — do it as an offering to Me.
This verse gives a powerful perspective on ordinary life.
You don't need to leave your job.
You don't need to become a monk.
You don't need to escape society.
You can transform the meaning of your existing actions.
Work sincerely.
Help people honestly.
Take care of your family.
Use your talents responsibly.
Share knowledge.
Give when you can.
And remember the Divine while doing it.
The Beautiful Paradox of Selfless Action
There is an interesting paradox:
When you stop making your own growth the only goal,
you may create the conditions in which you grow the most.
A person who wants to become a great leader learns to serve people.
A person who wants to become a great teacher learns to help others understand.
A person who wants to build a successful business learns to solve real problems.
A person who wants strong relationships learns to give, listen and understand.
A person seeking spiritual growth learns to reduce attachment to the ego.
In each case, growth happens through something larger than the self.
Think About Arjuna
At the beginning of the Bhagavad Gita, Arjuna is overwhelmed by his personal emotions.
He is thinking about his relationships, his pain, his fears and the consequences of the battle.
Krishna does not simply tell him, "Think about yourself and your comfort."
He gradually teaches Arjuna about duty, the nature of the Self, disciplined action, devotion, knowledge and surrender.
Arjuna's transformation begins when his vision becomes larger than his immediate personal distress.
The lesson for us is not about copying Arjuna's circumstances. It is about learning to see our own responsibilities with greater clarity.
Try This for 7 Days
For the next seven days, change one question.
Instead of asking:
"What can I get today?"
Ask:
"What can I give today?"
At work, help someone without expecting immediate recognition.
At home, listen carefully instead of immediately reacting.
In business, solve one real customer problem.
With a friend, ask how they are doing and genuinely listen.
With your knowledge, teach someone something useful.
With your resources, help where you reasonably can.
And before sleeping, ask yourself:
Tonight's questions:
- Did I make everything about myself today?
- Whom did I help?
- Did I perform my responsibilities sincerely?
- Where did ego control my actions?
- Can I offer tomorrow's actions to Krishna?
The Real Meaning of "God Will Grow You"
Perhaps the deepest meaning is not:
"Think about others and God will make your life easy."
It is closer to:
"Think beyond yourself, perform your duty sincerely, serve where you can, and offer your actions to God. Let the result unfold."
When you live this way, you may discover that your definition of growth changes.
Growth is no longer only: more money, more followers, more status, more possessions.
Growth can also mean: more wisdom, more compassion, more discipline, more courage, more peace and less ego.
A Final Message From Krishna's Wisdom
Your life is not meant to revolve endlessly around the question: "What about me?"
There comes a point where we must ask:
"What has God given me that I can use for something greater than myself?"
Your skills can help someone.
Your experience can guide someone.
Your success can create opportunities for someone.
Your kindness can change someone's difficult day.
Your knowledge can remove someone's confusion.
Your work can become an offering.
And through serving others, you may discover a version of yourself that constant self-focus could never reveal.
If you constantly think only about yourself, your world can become smaller.
But when you think about how your life can serve others, your purpose can become larger.
And when you offer that action to God without attachment to the result, your inner growth can begin.
Remember This
Don't live only to ask what life can give you.
Ask what you can give to life.
Don't make success only about becoming bigger.
Make it about becoming useful.
Don't work only for recognition.
Work with sincerity.
And don't carry every result on your shoulders.
Do your duty and offer your actions to Krishna.
That is one way to move from "I, me and mine" toward service, purpose and devotion.
Disclaimer
This article presents a modern reflection on teachings from the Bhagavad Gita. The explanations are intended for spiritual and educational purposes and should not be treated as a substitute for studying the original Sanskrit text and established commentaries.